Monday 30 April 2012

Weekend in Worcester


After my swimming lesson on Friday, we headed up to Hereford for the weekend.  
Westy on a road trip

Thanks to Vicky and Graham for putting us up and feeding us amazing food!  Unfortunately due to the bad weather we didn’t end up doing any walking in the Malvern Hills but we still had a great time.  

Saturday morning I got up early to run.  I had decided to run a 5 mile circular route that I had run last year when we were in Hereford but had planned to run it the other way this time.  Although it was raining I started off well, enjoying the quiet country lanes and the admiring view (even though it was somewhat masked by fog).  The route began up a short but very steep hill followed by just over 2 miles of steep, winding down hill.  I was feeling very smug at this point thinking thank god I don’t have to run back up this hill – it would probably kill me!  I kept running and running then all of a sudden I hit the main road and realised that I had gone very wrong somewhere and what little sense of direction I have had abandoned me completely. 

It was raining fairly heavily by this point and I had no idea where I was.  I was cold, wet (stupidly I went out without a coat) and pretty annoyed as I realised I was going to have to retrace my steps back up the two mile long hill.  Needless to say I ended up walking up the steepest sections as my lungs were on fire and my glutes felt like they were ripping with every step.  So by the time I got home I was utterly miserable and had ended up running just over 5.5 miles.  However, during my misery I made a deal with myself that I will start hill training and soon!  I know I should be doing this anyway but to be honest it always seemed too much like hard work.  This just proved to me how important it is especially if I want to survive the Jurassic Coastal Challenge next year.          

After I finally got warm and dry (aided by several cups of coffee), we headed into Worcester for some lunch and retail therapy.  I got some more Nike Tempo shorts from TKmaxx which are my favourite to run in, they are soooo comfy and keep up nice and cool as they let the air circulate.  Arran, on the other hand hates them... he reckons they are totally unsexy and tried to persuade me to buy the smallest pair of lycra hot-pants you have ever seen.  There is no way I’m running with my bum cheeks and cellulite hanging out all over the place!!

The Worcester Motor Festival was in full swing and there were some amazing old cars to look at and these two crazy guys were riding around:
Maybe I should be grateful I don’t have to ride one of these in my triathlon (it’s much further to fall)

We then headed to the Prince of Wales pub in Ledbury for a couple of cheeky ales before returning home for... you guessed it, more cheeky ales!  


Sunday’s weather was even worse than Saturday so I decided against my planned 3 mile run and instead sat next to the open fire and had homemade apple cake and tea before heading back down south. 

I had planned to head out for a 4 mile run followed by the gym for some resistance training today but after dropping my bike off at my local bike shop first thing this morning for a service as my gears keep jumping (since the last time I fell off) I had to head straight home as my new turbo trainer is being delivered today YAY, so I have to stay in and wait for the delivery man.  Very excited!

Planned Workouts:

Monday
  • Easy run - 4 miles (if delivery man comes at a reasonable time)
  • Badminton - 2 hours


Tuesday
  • Swimming - 30-45 minutes
  • Cycle - 30-45 minutes or Easy run - 4 miles (if not done on Mon)
  • Strength training - legs, back, biceps, triceps, abs
  • Badminton - 2 hours


Wednesday
  • Easy Run - 4 miles


Thursday
  • Swimming - 30-45 minutes
  • Cycling - 60 minutes
  • Strength training - legs, chest, shoulders, abs


Friday
  • Easy run - 5 miles
  • Swimming  Lesson


Saturday
  • Easy Run - 3 miles


Sunday
  • Rest




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...