Friday 25 May 2012

Runners Trots and Burnt Toast!


Today’s Workout
  • Run – 3.9 miles                 40:07     Avg Pace: 10.15mm
  • Swimming Lesson

 I had an absolutely terrible run this morning.  It was one of those runs where you just wish you’d just stayed in bed and then begin to question why you ever took up running in the first place. 

It was supposed to be a 4 mile tempo run with the middle two miles at 7.45-8mm pwah!!  As soon as I started out I knew things were not going to go smoothly.  My legs felt really heavy after yesterdays run and I just could not get my cadence up to my normal level.  This was reflected in my first mile which took 11minutes.  I didn’t beat myself up about it as it was just a warm up mile.  I then tried to pick up the pace but feeling like I was wearing shoes made of concrete and attempting to pick up the pace at the bottom of a 0.5 mile long hill probably wasn’t the best idea.   Despite my best efforts, I only managed to increase my speed to 10mm and was completely done in by the time I reached the top of the hill.  It was at this point I decided to scrap the idea of a tempo run and decided to just use it as a recovery run. 

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it all started to go even more badly wrong!!  I started to feel decidedly dodgy, my stomach was churning and I felt dreadful, and it just got progressively worse.  At one point I wasn’t sure if I was going to poop my pants whilst running like this poor bloke:
Courtesy of Skinny Runner
Or throw up on myself...

Thankfully neither scenario played out, I just continued to plod along feeling like I wanted to die.  With every step I swore I would never run again... I mean what is the point of running unless you are running for your life or running to catch a bus/train/plane. 

I eventually got home and discovered that somehow I had managed to maintain 10.15mm and even ran the last mile slightly quicker.  According to my garmin my heart rate was actually relatively low compared to the effort I felt I was expending (no idea how that happened).   

After locking myself in the bathroom for 20 minutes I felt decidedly better and opted for toast for breakfast as this often helps settle my stomach.  I don’t eat bread very often but I love Burgen’s soya and linseed bread.  They didn’t have any full sized loaves when I went shopping so I had to buy the half-size loaf.
So diddy!! 

I then proceeded to thoroughly burn my toast to a crisp and fill my kitchen with smoke in the process.  I hope this isn’t going to be a precedent for the whole day. 


After my awful run, I have decided to postpone my weight training session until tomorrow as I don’t think my legs are up to it.  Meeting my mum later for tea and cake... a sure fire way to make me feel better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...