Tuesday 22 May 2012

Early morning runs + Olympic torch


I am currently on nights and often find it really hard to find the time to train between working and sleeping.  However, during last night’s shift, my manager agreed that I didn’t have stay in the building on my break (as long as I was contactable by phone) and so at 4am I headed out for a 5 mile run on my break.  It was lucky that I had actually worn my running stuff to work as I was planning to head out as soon as I got home and knew that if I ventured too far into the house before running then bed would beckon and most likely win out! 

Obviously as this was an unplanned run I didn’t have my Garmin with me and so can’t be sure of the actual distance until I can be bothered to check on Map My Run, but I just decided to run for 25 minutes, turn around and head back for 25 minutes.  It was a very slow, easy run as my calves are suffering following the dreaded hills of the Crewkerne 10K on Sunday.  It actually feels as though someone has shoved a collection of rocks and pebbles under my skin.  As a result, my running style left much to be desired until I finally eased into the run. 

It turned out to be a lovely run.  Although not the first time I have trained at this time in the morning (and is certain not to be the last), I love running this early.  If and when I actually manage to get myself out of the door I almost always have a good run.  The morning air is crisp and the streets are deserted.  The cars are few and far between and the wildlife is out in abundance.  It is great to head out in the dark and watch the sun come up as you run, it really is great for the soul.      

I know it is not for everyone (especially as you generally have to be able to run on an empty stomach), but I highly recommend trying an early morning run, it leaves you feeling more awake, invigorated and really sets you up for the day... not to mention feeling very virtuous for actually getting up and exercising when everyone else is still in dreamland!!

As a result of getting my training done and dusted, it meant I wasn’t in a rush to get home after work and decided to go out and watch the Olympic torch relay which was passing my place of work just after my shift ended (convenient).  I was glad to see it was busy and that so many people cared enough to get out of their beds to come down and watch it pass. 

After securing my spot and checking I had actually charged the battery on the camera, I didn’t have to wait long before the Olympic busses started to pass.  There was a real carnival atmosphere (even at 7:30am) and I couldn’t wait to see the torch.  I thought it was a great moment when the torch carrier passed and despite my crappy photography skills, I managed to get a couple of snaps of the flame.  


I love the Olympics and have watched it ever since I can remember and it was great to feel part of the event.  I am super excited about having the Olympics here in the UK, it’s just a shame that I couldn’t get tickets.   

After all that excitement, I headed home to bed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...