Monday 14 May 2012

Be Iron Fit


I finally downloaded Be Iron Fit by Don Fink onto my kindle.  A number of people have recommended this book to me and it seems to be regarded by many as a bible for triathletes.  Well, I was hooked as soon as I started reading it and spent every spare minute reading and digesting the information in the book and have decided that he is my new guru!!  Fink’s suggested training methods seem to make sense and I particularly like the fact he recommends training by time as opposed to mileage with a lot of work in your aerobic heart rate zone (I’m too lazy for speed work).  I found he provides a comprehensive, detailed plan covering all aspects of Ironman training. 

Although I am not planning to attempt an Ironman for a couple of years, reading his book made me realise that the training for my first two triathlons is not at all structured and is in fact pretty aimless!  Yes, I have been swimming and cycling (running is the exception) but it has just been as far and as fast as I have felt like on the day.

Although I am fairly confident that as long as I don’t drown in the swimming sections of the triathlons, that I will make it to the end, it probably won’t be pretty or enjoyable and I may very well be last.  As a result I have decided to adapt Fink’s programmes to my own ends to form a more productive structure for my training both in terms of completing the triathlons and as effective cross-training for my marathon training. 

After reading the plans carefully, I have opted to follow the swim sessions from the just finish programme - base training phase and the cycling sessions from the intermediate programme - base training phase combined with my scheduled runs from my marathon training programme.  I am also planning to try and stick to the suggested training heart rate zones to ensure I am not over-doing things. 

Okay, I realise that unless you have read Fink’s book you will have absolutely no idea what I am talking about, but here is what this week’s training plan looks like:   

Monday:  
  • Swimming
  • Strength training
  • Badminton

Tuesday: 
  • Run - 4 miles
  • Badminton

Wednesday: 
  • Brick session – 30 mins cycling then 30 mins run

Thursday: 
  • Swimming 
  • Strength training
  • Cycling – 30 mins

Friday: 
  • Swimming Lesson
  • Run - 4 miles

Saturday: 
  • Cycling – 1hr

Sunday: 
  • 10K Race!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...