Monday 25 June 2012

Back in the saddle


Sunday Workout
  • Long Run             11.7 miles            02:00:00               10:19mm


Monday Workout
  • Cycling                  10.5 miles           52 mins                 12.5 mph
  • Swimming           66 laps                 50(ish) mins
  • Swimming           66 laps                 50(ish) mins


I’m going to be honest with you, I am feeling rather sheepish.  After my post about trying to sort out my nutrition and hydration I messed up big time!! 

Normally I do my long runs early in the morning and leave the house between 5-6am.  After a very late night on Saturday night, I slept in on Sunday then proceeded to mooch about the house, then mooch about in town, then mooch about some more at my parents house until finally I could procrastinate no longer and decided to head out for my run.  

It was gone 3pm and extremely hot and sunny by the time I donned my trainers and set out.  I set out to do 13 miles and although I took one pack of Clif Shot Bloks (just in case) I didn’t take any water with me.  Now, had I been running at my usual time when it was cool and drizzly – this would not have been a problem, but after just 1 mile my tongue already  felt like sandpaper and I knew I had made a booboo. 
However, being stubborn as I am, I decided to carry on but slow down and keep my pace super easy to compensate and went even slower again up the hills. 

I felt okay until mile 8 when I started to feel really hot and bothered and my easy pace was getting slower and slower.  I wanted to take a Shot Blok but without water to wash it down, I knew I wouldn’t be able to swallow it.  As I went on I started to feel dizzy and sick – I had completely overheated and was horribly dehydrated and positively crispy with salty sweat.

At mile 10 I admitted defeat and phoned Arran to rescue me!  He doesn’t drive, so did the next best thing and despite a raging hangover he cycled down as fast as his little legs would carry him to meet me with some much needed water! My hero!!

Hydration and contemplation

Hydrating with the one and only Nuun!

My hero's trusty steed!

After a 15 minute sit down, and a big long drink I was feeling much better but decided against finishing my run and took the shortest route home with Arran cycling along next to me – giving me some much needed encouragement.  I ended up doing 11.7 miles – I’m not going to beat myself up over it or dwell on it... it happens.  Now, on to the next run!!

It just goes to show that even tried and tested plans need to be reviewed and adapted to suit the conditions on the day. 

And, just cos I was feeling better by this point... some pointless running photos from my trip home...


 
I'm sexy and I know it... Aldi compression socks + cellulite - its a look that's gonna catch on!!

In other news, I got back in the saddle today, made the most of the glorious sunshine (cos it’s not going to last) and took myself off on a cycle ride.  I am soooo much happier with normal pedals and didn’t find it any more difficult and didn’t lose any speed making the switch.  (having said that, I am so slow, that it would be impossible to go any slower without going backwards).    

I also swam 1 mile!!!!!  I never thought I would be able to say that.  I was tired but so pumped when I’d finished. 


2 comments:

  1. I had a really similar run on Sunday, it was so hot. I just didn't feel it at all. I kept stopping and starting and was all over the place! Sometimes, despite the best intentions, runs just don't go according to plan, right?

    I really like your blog, I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone :) It's really frustrating when a run doesn't go to plan - I always feel a bit of a failure but am learning I need to accept that these things happen - sometimes for no reason, and move on!

      Thanks for reading x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...